Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Who Am I? [poem i wrote]

I am sitting in my room
On the comfort of my bed
I sit here in deep thought
Thinking of the path I have tread

I don't know what to do
I am at the end of my rope
My life seems to flash before me
And I have given up all hope

I get off my bed
And stand to my feet
I walk to the mirror
And then our eyes meet

The face that is before me
Stares back in the mirror
It doesn't seem to be me
Oh why can't this be clearer?

I fall to my knees
And look away from the face
I don't know what is happening
How did I get to this place?

I no longer recognize myself
It seems I have changed
I don't know what to do
There must be some one to blame

Tears start to swell
As I slowly close my eyes
The face in the mirror
Is one I despise

So many choices I had made
Were very foolish and dumb
And all that they did
Was leave me cold and numb

My past is one I regret
As I thought of my choices
My life raced through my mind
I try to block out the voices

Each voice said something different
Convincing me of what they said
My thoughts began to haunt me
And how I wished I were dead

"You should be ashamed."
"You should end it all now."
I couldn't get the voices to cease
I didn't know how

I looked into the mirror
Wondering where to go from here
The face that was before me
Was filled with pain and fear

No longer could I look
At the guilty face in the mirror
But I didn't want to give in
Although the pain was severe

I stood to my feet
As I wiped away the tears
I was suddenly quite determined
That I would change right here

I stared at the face in the mirror 
And I made to myself a vow
I would fix my mistakes
Right here and now

I fell to my knees again
More tears streaming down my face
They were now tears of joy
As my mistakes began to erase

I looked at the mirror in triumph
As now I was completely free
My life was now mine to live
And my own person I could be

I no longer need to worry
Of my forever haunting past
New choices shall I make
That will free me from its grasp

No comments:

Post a Comment